Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I AM A HATER OR AM I?

I AM A ''HATER'' OR AM I
Recently  I expressed my opinion on a number of things ranging from my distaste of The Fast and the Furious franchise to how the Wits dining hall includes CHEESE in the beef schwarma(YUCK) ; I always get the same response from people around ‘’Oh, you’re such a hater’’ or ‘’Stop hating’’, so I started to question if I’m a ‘’hater’’. For a deeper and clearer understanding of the word hate, I decided to seek knowledge in the dictionary and this is what I found.  Definition of Hate - intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury. (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
image
 Well, I wouldn’t say that I have ‘’intense hostility’’ or ‘’anger’’ towards the fast and the furious or the taste of cheese in my beef schwarma ; It’s just not my cup of tea. I don’t like The Fast and the Furious cause I think its outplayed and there’s other things more interesting out there AND I find that cheese, beef and hummus IS JUST PLAIN DISGUSTING. Same way some of you reading this find anime utterly boring and would say that it’s for ‘’kids’’ or found accounting in high school or varsity unbearable, is that now ‘’hating’’.
Furthermore a ‘’hater’’ is described by the urban dictionary as ‘’ A person that simply cannot be happy for another person’s success. So rather than be happy they make a point of exposing a flaw in that person.’’ So say we’re having a conversation about Rihanna’s new hairstyle and I express that I don’t like it and that I prefer the one prior to that… Is that being a hater
Black people of South Africa, let’s stop using the words ‘’hater’’ ‘’hate’’ and ‘’hating’’ inappropriately; an expression of opinion does not constitute HATE. If you expect people to respect you and your opinion, you should do the same.  Q-tip couldn’t have said it better in Steve Biko(Stir it up) ‘’Opinions are like voices, we all have a different kind’’
That Awkward Annoyed African Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment